Mr E had requested western for break fast today. Your wish is my command.
We went Giant after work. Bought ingredients we need to cook his chicken chop and off back home. I had 1 hour to prepare the dish before Adhan.
I marinated the chicken and put it in the fridge and start with the rest of my dishes. Corn with Mustard Seeds | Grilled Cajun Chicken | Mushroom Sauce | Fries
- 1 can of kernel corn
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 or 2 chili padi (chopped/sliced)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp minced coriander leaves
- Heat oil and thrown in the mustard seeds ( I don’t mean literally cos it will splatter)
- Add in chili padi, fry for a while and add in turmeric powder.
- Work fast as the turmeric powder burn easily. Add in the corn. Stir occasionally. Season with salt. Sprinkle the minced coriander leave. Still well and of the heat.
Put the corn aside and we can start of with the chicken. I’m grilling the chicken first cos I wanted the excess fluid from the chicken to make my mushroom sauce.
Grilled Cajun Chicken
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 chicken breast
- 2tbsp Flour
- Chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- If you pan-seared the breasts the cooking time will be reduced to 10 to 20 minutes.
- In a large pot, melt the ¼ cup butter.
- Add the sliced mushrooms.
- Sauté until the mushrooms are brown and have exuded their juices, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour and blend.
- Add the chicken broth, stirring to make a medium thick sauce.
- Allow to reduce, adjusting with a little more broth to make a creamy sauce.
- Add fresh parsley at the last minute.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the sauce over the Grilled Cajun Chicken breasts and serve with Corn with Mustard Seeds and Fries
I finished just in time to break fast. I don’t normally rush my cooking unless the last minute request. Lately it happen quite often. Tsk.
Things I would do differently the next time:
- Chicken to marinade overnight
- To use different type of mushrooms and avoid can ones
- To cook more portion of the corn. It’s actually quite tasty