Weekends are the only time you take your time to cook and not rush like any other day. So I have decided to cook something advance (to me at least). Briyani. Hubby love it. I have attached the link that I followed the recipe from. I tweaked the recipe abit.
I used canola oil. I don’t have any saffron left at home so I just used coloring. As for chicken stock, I put in 2.5 cups and the balance 1 cup I put in evaporated milk.
Biryani rice (Nasi Briyani)
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2-1/2 Tbs Ghee or Oil
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch saffron powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 5 Cardamom pods
- 5 Cloves
- 2 cm or 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star Anise
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons Rose water or 1 tsp Rose essence
- 1-1/2 tsp Salt
- 3-1/2 Cups Chicken stock
- Toasted cashews or slice almonds
- Wash rice well and soak for at least 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat ghee or oil and fry onion until light brown. Add saffron, turmeric powder, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise, ginger powder and rice. Fry stirring continuously until rice is totally coated with the ghee and spice mixture.
- Heat the chicken stock, add rose water or essence and salt. Pour the hot stock over rice mixture and stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Cover saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. DO NOT lift the lid or stir while cooking.
- Dish out the Biryani onto a serving dish. Garnish with cashews or slice almonds and sultanas and serve immediately.
Briyani has a few side dishes. You can have it with curry, dhal, prawn black pepper. I decided to pair it with chicken with chili gravy call Ayam masak Merah.
Ayam Masak Merah (This is my mom’s recipe)
- Chicken (any parts you like. clean add salt and tumeric powder and fry)
- 1 cup dried chilies
- 1 thumb ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- Lime leaves
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- season with salt and sugar
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil, pan fry chicken (half cook) and put aside
- Saute sliced onions once soft add in the blended ingredients (constant stirring, until you can see oil come out from the sides)
- Add in salt, sugar, tomato sauce and lime leaf (i used lime zest)
- Mix well and add the half cook chicken in.
- Mix well cook until the gravy is slightly reduced