All in all I made about 140 trays of mooncakes. All monie I pass to mom for her pilgrimage expenses. I’m glad that I am able to help. Alhamdulillah.
So initially the fillings were only chocolate, coffee and lotus and there’s more request for green tea and red bean too. So I included it in the order. My worst nightmare, people ordered durian mooncake. I want to faint. I turn down the orders. My mom told be that I just turned down rezki Allah gave me. 😩😩😩. So I decided to take all the durian orders at the expense of my nose. My poor nose. Aiyah it’s not that bad. Compared to the real durian.
Recipe source: Noobcook
kaofen aka fried/cooked glutinous flour (糕粉) for dusting work surface, rolling pin, hands and dough
500 grams ready-made mooncake filling paste (such as lotus paste, red bean paste etc)
- 100 grams kaofen sifted
- 80 grams icing sugar sifted
- 30 grams shortening
- 150ml iced water with 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- food colouring optional
- mini mooncake mould (50 grams mold)
Dough (Mooncake Skin)
- In a large bowl, add flour and icing sugar. Rub shortening into the flour mixture with your fingertips.
- Add iced water and combine with a spatula until a soft dough is formed.
- Divide the dough depending on the number of different colours you intend to make. Add food colouring, a few drops at a time, to each portion and knead until the colour is well distributed. Add a few drops of ice water to help the colour to distribute evenly, if required.
- Divide dough into 15 grams pieces.
- If there are leftover odd coloured dough left, combine and weigh them into 15 grams pieces to make multi-colour snowskin mooncakes.
- Divide the filling paste into 25 grams pieces. If desired, add melon seeds to each serving of filling paste. Shape each dough into a ball.
- Make the same number of filling balls accordingly to the number of 15 grams mooncake skin dough you have.
- Making the snowskin mooncakes
- Add appropriate amount of kaofen to each portion of dough, a little at a time, and knead until it is no longer sticky. Do not over-knead.
- Dust hand or rolling pin with flour and flatten each dough into a small disc. Wrap the mooncake skin around the filling and shape it into a ball.
- Lightly dust the mooncake ball with additional kaofen. Place it in the mooncake mould and press firmly. Invert the mould and tap a few taps to push the mooncake out. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Store mooncakes in airtight containers and chill in fridge for up to a week.
Credit: Mooncake dough recipe adapted from ZaTaYaYummy